Eine schöne Fahrt entlang des Polder “De Schermer” und über den Alkmaardermeer.
Alkmaar Guide & BroekerVeiling Cruise
“Between cheese and cabbage”
Experience Alkmaar and the life of a tuinder.
Cultural-historical day trip (i.s.m. Museum BroekerVeiling).
You start this day trip with a welcome on board with coffee or tea with apple pie with whipped cream.
City tour of medieval Alkmaar with a guide of the city guild.
Nice boat trip from Alkmaar to the old Broek op Langedijk.
Delicious sandwich lunch with a nice soup on board.
From the port of Broek op Langedijk, take a guide over the more than 1,000-year-old dike to the BroekerVeiling Museum.
Visit the BroekerVeiling Museum, where you can learn all about the millennial island kingdom Broek op Langedijk.
Auction the watch at the transit auction.
They sit on the same benches where greengrocers have been buying their wares for more than 120 years.
Our vintage bus will take you back to Alkmaar.
Very worthwhile! An absolutely unique experience!
Welcome on board with coffee, tea or lemonade.
Guided tour of medieval Alkmaar.
Lunch on board
- Tasty sandwiches
- Tasty soup
- Coffee, tea or lemonade
Broek op Langedijk
- Guided hike on the 1000-year-old Langedijk
- Access to the BroekerVeiling Museum
- Guided tour of the museum
- Do-it-yourself auction
Back to Alkmaar by bus.
Send us a message or call 072 515 94 90 to schedule an individual day trip. Price on request.
10.30 am – Welcome on board with coffee, tea, lemonade
11.00 am – Guided City Walk thru Alkmaar (on Fridays visit to Cheese Market!) The experienced guides of Gilde Alkmaar tell with enthusiasm and pride about life in their city, about the history of Alkmaar and its buildings and about the differences between the Alkmaar of the past and the present.
12.45 pm – Embarkation, Sailing Trip with Lunch Back on board, a nice lunch is served whilst you sail from Alkmaar via centuries-old waterways towards the village Broek op Langedijk.
02.00 pm – Broek op Langedijk In the port of Boek op Langedijk you are welcomed by the tour guides of Museum BroekerVeiling. You walk to the BroekerVeiling via the more than 1000 years old dike and Dorpstraat (mainstreet). The BroekerVeiling is the oldest and only remaining Sail- thru vegetable-auction in the world.
02.15 pm – Guided tour Museum BroekerVeiling The tour guides take the group through the museum and talk about the life of the farmers and their families around the year 1900. As part of the tour, the group also visits the following exhibitions: The Empire of a Thousand Islands; This “living” map tells about the origin of the area. The Sail-Thru Auction – Gives an impression of a working day of farmers around 1900.
15.15 pm – Live -auction! The highlight of the day! Be seated on the authentic auction benches. Feel the excitement when the auctioneer calls out the vegetables and a museum visitor stops the auction clock and determines the price.
16.00 pm – Departure from Broek op Langedijk The bus picks up the group at Museum BroekerVeiling and brings you safely back to Alkmaar
The city of Alkmaar
Alkmaar has a historic center with 399 national monuments and 700 urban monuments. The city is known as “the cheese city”. From the beginning of April to the end of September every week a traditional cheese market takes place. A resident of Alkmaar is called Alkmaarder but is commonly referred to as a cheese cup. The city has two train stations: Alkmaar Station and Alkmaar Noord Station.
Alkmaar is located in the cooperation region Kennemerland and partly in West Frisia. The urban area around Alkmaar occupies an important place in the region. It has more or less adhered to places like Heerhugowaard, Noord-Scharwoude, Zuid-Scharwoude, Broek on Langedijk, St. Pancras, Oudkarspel, Obdam, Hensbroek, Bergen, Heiloo, Limmen, Castricum and Uitgeest. The entire agglomeration, also known as Greater Alkmaar, extends worldwide from Uitgeest via the villages of Warmenhuizen and Tuitjenhorn in the south of the town of Schagen to Obdam and has about 305,000 inhabitants.
When Count Dirk VII was at war in Holland from Holland, his brother Willem van Friesland invaded West Frisia in November 1195. Countess Aleid van Kleef attacked her brother-in-law and defeated him in Alkmaar. On June 11, 1254 Alkmaar were awarded by Willem II van Holland city rights. The city served at that time mainly as a border fortress and base in the fight against the West Frisians. In 1328, a big city fire took place in Alkmaar.
The blood miracle is said to have taken place in Alkmaar in 1429, with miraculous blood spots appearing in a piece of cloth. In 1492 the rebellion of cheese and bread people took place in Alkmaar. Early modern age In the summer of 1517, the city and its surroundings were looted by the Arum Black Hope. In June 1572, the Calvinists Geuzen under Diederik Sonoy arrested the Franciscan priests and brothers Alkmaar and were murdered on June 25, 1572 in Enkhuizen for their loyalty to the Catholic faith after horrific torture.
The murdered clerics are now known as the martyrs of Alkmaar. Alkmaar was besieged in 1573 by the Spaniards who had stored their camp in Oudorp. The Alkmaarers, however, kept them at bay with boiling tar and burning twigs; see also Eighty Years War. This event, which led to the well-known triumphal procession, begins in Alkmaar and is celebrated every year on October 8 as part of Alkmaars Ontzet.
In the French period, North Holland was transformed into the “Department of Texel”, whose capital became Alkmaar. The Alkmaarsche Courant was founded in 1799 by Adrianus Sterck in Alkmaar. The newspaper is now part of Noordhollands Dagblad and at the same time the largest issue of this newspaper.
The Noordhollandsch Kanaal, which was opened in 1824, ran around Alkmaar during the construction. Due to the growth of Alkmaar it is now going right through. In the years 1865 and 1867, the infrastructure was further expanded by the opening of the railway lines from Alkmaar to Den Helder and Uitgeest – Haarlem.
Around Alkmaar, new residential areas emerged in the 20th century, and in 1972, in the area of Alkmaar, Oudorp, Koedijk-Zuid and the section south of the railway line Alkmaar-Heerhugowaard of Sint Pancras-Zuid were added. The city also played an increasingly important role in coping with the Randstad’s population surplus and population looking for a home through the renovation of old neighborhoods, particularly Amsterdam.
Alkmaar received the growth core status and was therefore considered one of the first “overflow cities” at that time. One consequence of this is the development of the Huiswaard district.
Today, Alkmaar is the third largest city in the province of North Holland.
History of the BroekerVeiling
The BroekerVeiling (the Langendijk vegetable auction) is a former auction and since 1976 a museum in Broek op Langedijk in North Holland. It was the world’s first seagoing vegetable auction and the first auction to auction horticultural products by auction.
The auction began on July 29, 1887 in the Bakkersbrug. The auction mainly involved Kohl, which was transported by ship to Amsterdam and elsewhere. The auction took place outdoors. A scaffolding and a fairway have been added to make the auction more orderly. A horticultural cooperative was founded in 1896, and two years later a judge was appointed in addition to an auctioneer. The jetty was covered.
In 1907, 700,000 florins were traded at the auction. This year, the auction received a train connection via the railway line St. Pancras – Broek op Langedijk, which among other things also facilitated the transport to Rotterdam. In 1911, the annual turnover was almost 3 million guilders.
In 1912, the old auction building was replaced by a design by W. Dirkmaat Jz. and Joh. Great. The auction building was erected on wooden poles above the water so that the gardeners could sail through the auction room with their barges laden with vegetables. It was therefore also called a transit auction. In the auction hall, the previously purchased mechanical auction clock from 1903 was placed above the corridor.
This watch can be stopped via buttons on the 100 places for buyers. Auctions went by boatload. The order of the boats was determined by draw. The auction room was ceremoniously opened by the Commissioner of the Queen of North Holland on July 29, 1912. In 1922, the building was extended with a lighting hall over the water for the boats. It acts as a covered harbor so that the products were not exposed to bright sun, rain and other weather conditions while waiting.
In 1925, an entrance and a second landing hall with a total of 200 berths were built. Due to the land consolidation in the 1960s, the importance of water transport decreased. The auction merged in 1968 with the auction of Warmenhuizen and Noord-Scharwoude for the auction “Langedijk en Omstreken” and chose the auction building in Noord-Scharwoude as the main location.
The transit auction was canceled in 1973. The auction activity was later merged with the auction West-Friesland-Oost, today’s Greenery. The auction complex had hardly changed in these years. After closure, it was bought by the community in 1973 to turn it into a memorial. In 1975 it was announced that the central government provided money for the restoration of the auction building.
Since 1976, it has been on the national list of monuments. Princess Beatrix officially opened the restored auction building in 1979.